Canvas, K-State's learning management system is getting a new look! The Canvas User Interface (UI) will be upgraded at 3:00 p.m. Friday, May 20. What does this mean for K-Staters? Most importantly, none of the functionality in K-State Online is changing. The upgrade will only affect the Global Navigation; your courses will not be affected. To learn more, view the How do I use the Dashboard? guide.
In this video, you will learn how to customize your course, including your home page and course navigation.
- Global Navigation has been moved from the top of the screen to the left-hand side.
- The logout link has been moved behind the Account icon. Click on your avatar photo to access account settings and the logout link.
- A grid of multi-colored course cards has replaced the drop-down list of courses.
- Each course card has tabs along the bottom for Announcements, Discussions, Assignments, and Files. These reflect the course navigation, so if these items are hidden from students, they will not appear here. If there is new activity in any of these areas, the tab will be highlighted with a blue stripe. Click on the tab to go to the area in the course.
- Colors are customizable by the individual user. Click the gear icon in the upper-right corner of the card to change the color.
- Only classes that you have favored in the all courses list will be shown as cards on the dashboard.
- The Grades link has been moved from the global navigation to the right-hand sidebar on the dashboard. Do not hide the Grades tab from your course-level navigation, or your students will have to navigate to the dashboard to view grades.
- Top-level navigation: Navigation has moved from the top of the screen to the left side.
- Course Card/Activity Stream Toggle: Toggles the main content area between the new Course Cards and the Global Activity Stream--a consolidated list of all course activity.
- Course Card: Access courses directly by selecting a card. Only favorited courses will display as cards.
- Card Settings: Each user can configure the color for each Course Card. The color is unique to the user and is the same color used to designate the course in the Canvas calendar.
- Course Activity Tabs: Direct-access tabs for Announcements, Assignments, Discussions and Files. These tabs are available only if they are enabled within the course. A blue line indicates new activity in the course area. There is also a change to alt text for visually impaired users.
- Account Settings: The Logout button has been moved here, as well as quicker access to account settings.
- Grades Button: Global grades report has been moved to the bottom of the right-hand sidebar.
- Help Button: This button floats in the lower-left corner.
- Canvas will be easier to view on devices with different screen sizes.
- When the width of a browser window is reduced, the right-hand sidebar will drop under the main content area.