During fall 2018, instructors can opt-in to use Canvas’ New Gradebook. The New Gradebook offers a number of enhanced features including improved accessibility support, and a better user experience. The New Gradebook has been designed to make grading more flexible and intuitive, as well as to elevate the Gradebook user experience. Instructure, the creator of Canvas, is expected to retire the current Gradebook sometime in 2019.
Note: You will not be able to revert to the old Gradebook if you use either of the following features:
- Automatically apply a grading rule to late and missing submissions
- Manually adjust submission status to none, late, missing, or excused
- Enable late or missing policies in the Gradebook Settings menu
All functionality with the current Gradebook is included in the New Gradebook, with the following exceptions:
New Feature Highlights
- More filtering and sorting options: Instructors can choose to order the columns by assignment names, due dates, points, or modules. You can also filter for a particular assignment group or module.
- Crosshairs: The New Gradebook offers crosshairs and highlighting for improved orientation. Additionally, each row includes alternating colors to help with navigation.
- Submission status color coding: Instructors can customize the color associated with a Gradebook Status: late, missing, resubmitted, dropped, or excused.
- Late and missing submission policies: Instructors can set grading rules to automatically apply to late and missing submissions in their courses.
- Grade detail tray: The grade detail tray displays a grading summary by assignment and student. Just as in SpeedGrader, an instructor can click the next and previous links at the top of the tray to advance to another student. However, the Gradebook also allows advancing directly to another assignment as well.
For a complete list of features, see Canvas Release: New Gradebook (2017-11-06) and Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-01-06).
How to Opt-In
To opt-in to the new gradebook:
- In your course, go to Settings.
- Go to Feature Options (last tab at the top).
- Move the New Gradebook toggle to on by clicking on the control button to turn it to a green check mark.
A step-by-step guide is available: How do I manage new features for a course?
Canvas Guides for the New Gradebook